Amtrak’s Auto Train is an overnight route between Virginia and Florida that allows passengers to take their four-tire, two-axle vehicles or motorcycles on the train (for all detailed requirements, view the last page of this PDF). You can also enjoy free WiFi, meals in the dining car and a cafe during your trip (ticket price includes dinner and breakfast in the dining car).
Things to Know
- Fees apply for each vehicle you are transporting
- You can only book a ticket if you are transporting a vehicle (if you aren’t bringing a car or other vehicle with you, book a ticket on the Silver Star or Silver Meteor routes)
- The earliest you can board your vehicle is 11:30 a.m. and the latest 2:30 p.m. at all stations (at 2:30 passenger boarding begins)
- Extra large cars, three-wheeled motorcycles and motorcycles with sidecars must purchase two vehicle spaces
- After dropping off your car in Florida for the train ride, you can take a free trolley to historic Sanford Monday through Saturday to sightsee or get food. The shuttle is every 20 minutes.
The Auto Train schedule is the same each day with one northbound and one southbound train. All trains depart at 4 p.m. and arrive next day at approximately 9 a.m. assuming no delays.
You can also view current schedules via Google Maps or when booking your tickets.
- Lorton, VA
- Sanford, FL
- Lake Monroe
- Central Florida Zoo and Botanical Garden
- Orlando International Airport
- Savannah River
- Francis Marion National Forest
- Potomac River