Amtrak’s Auto Train is an overnight route between Virginia and Florida that allows passengers to take cars, motorcycles and some other special vehicles on the train for a fee (view requirements). This route is the only one in the United States that transports cars, and on-board amenities include WiFi, a dining car for sleeper car passengers and a café.
This website is reader supported and we may earn a small commission from links on this page.
Things to Know
- The Auto Train travel direct between Florida and Virginia with no stops in between.
- Meals are included if you book a roomette or bedroom.
- Coach seats are available at a cheaper price (food can be purchased in the café car or bring food on the train).
- Trip time is about 17 hours, but you need to arrive to the station early for vehicle loading. Learn more.
- You can only book a ticket if you are transporting a vehicle (if you aren’t bringing a car or other vehicle with you, book a ticket on the Silver Star or Silver Meteor routes to reach Florida).
You can reserve coach seats, roomettes or bedrooms on the Auto Train. Coach seats are the cheapest option. Expect to pay around $100 to $200 for a one-way coach ticket. Prices vary depending on how far in advance you book your ticket and other factors.
Roomette prices range from around $500 to over $700. Bedrooms cost over $1,000 and include a private shower, sink, toilet and two beds (one is wider than the other). Maximum occupancy is two adults in both of these room types. There is also a family bedroom for two adults and two children and bedroom suites, which are connecting bedrooms (you’ll need to purchase two rooms). Note that prices for roomettes and bedrooms include meals and coffee.
In addition to ticket fees, you’ll also pay fees for each vehicle you are transporting. Prices range from $150 to $300 per vehicle.
The Auto Train schedule is the same each day with one northbound and one southbound train. All trains depart early evening and arrive the next day in the morning.
View latest schedules and timetables on Amtrak.com.
- Lorton, VA
- Sanford, FL