Acela Express trains travel between Boston and Washington D.C. multiple times a day. Choose a first-class upgrade for complimentary meal service and free beverages along with hot towels. All passengers can stop by the on-board cafe and have access to free WiFi and electrical outlets at seats.
Things to Know
- The Acela Express is 30 minutes to 1 hour faster than the Northeast Regional train depending on your start and end stations.
- First class seating has single seat options, so you don’t have to sit next to anyone
- Busy times/full trains tend to be Monday morning and in the afternoon on Thursday and Friday.
- Southbound trains depart about every hour starting around 5 a.m. in Boston
- Trip time is 3.5 to 4 hours between Boston and New York City
- Trip time between New York and DC is about 3 hours
- The first northbound train departs Washington D.C. around 5 a.m.
Top tips and takeaways from passenger reviews:
- Comfortable seats
- Acela can be quieter than the Northeast Regional train and gets priority on the tracks
- It is cheaper and just as comfortable to ride business class on the Northeast Regional trains (not all reviewers found it worth the extra cost to ride Acela unless it was a business expense)
- There are some great views of Manhattan when you are traveling northbound from New York City
- New York City
- Washington D.C.
Note that different trains stop at different stations, though all stop at the five major cities above.
- Boston, MA – South Station (BOS)
- Boston, MA – Back Bay Station (BBY)
- Route 128, MA (RTE)
- Providence, RI – Amtrak/T Station (PVD)
- New London, CT – Union Station (NLC)
- New Haven, CT – Union Station (NHV)
- Stamford, CT (STM)
- New York, NY – Penn Station (NYP)
- Newark, NJ – Penn Station (NWK)
- Metropark, NJ (MET)
- Trenton, NJ (TRE)
- Philadelphia, PA – 30th Street Station (PHL)
- Wilmington, DE (WIL)
- Baltimore, MD – Penn Station (BAL)
- Baltimore, MD – BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
- Washington, DC – Union Station (WAS)
- Brown University
- Rhode Island State House
- Thames River
- Ikea New Haven
- Knights of Columbus Museum
- Madison Square Garden
- Empire State Building
- Drexel University
- University of Pennsylvania
- Schuylkill River Trail
- Delaware History Museum
- Delaware Children’s Museum
- The Delaware Contemporary Art Gallery
- Wilmington Rowing Center
- U.S. Capitol
- Washington D.C. Museums