The Capitol Limited is a long-distance Amtrak route that connects Washington D.C. and Chicago. Trains stop in Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois, including at Harpers Ferry National Historic Park. You’ll also have views of the Allegheny Mountains and cross over the Potomac River on this route.
Things to Know
- No WiFi and no observation car
- Trains have an upper and lower level
- Family bedrooms are an option on this route.
- The Capitol Limited has flexible dining service as well as a cafe.
- Trains stop at South Bend; great for Notre Dame students and families of students.
- Cardinal trains also travel between Washington D.C. and Chicago (the route is longer but more scenic)
- Around the Cumberland Station and east, the train travels on the historic B&O Railroad line, which was chartered in 1827 as the nation’s first common carrier railroad.
- One train in each direction daily
- This is an overnight route; trains depart Chicago and Washington D.C. in the early evening
- Overnight, trains are in Ohio. Cleveland does not have ideal train arrival times.
- Washington D.C.
- Washington, DC – Union Station (WAS)
- Rockville, MD (RKV)
- Harpers Ferry, WV (HFY)
- Martinsburg, WV (MRB)
- Cumberland, MD – Amtrak Station (CUM)
- Connellsville, PA (COV)
- Pittsburgh, PA – Amtrak Station (PGH)
- Alliance, OH (ALC)
- Cleveland, OH (CLE)
- Elyria, OH (ELY)
- Sandusky, OH (SKY)
- Toledo, OH (TOL)
- Waterloo, IN (WTI)
- Elkhart, IN (EKH)
- South Bend, IN (SOB)
- Chicago, IL – Union Station (CHI)
- U.S. Capitol
- Washington D.C. Museums
- Resting place of F. Scott Fitzgerald (St. Mary’s church in Rockville)
- Harpers Ferry National Historic Park
- Jefferson Rock
- Potomac River
- Belle Boyd House
- Martinsburg Roundhouse
- Allegany Museum
- Viaduct Junction
- Downtown Pittsburgh
- David L. Lawrence Convention Center
- Senator John Heinz History Center
- August Wilson Center for African American Culture
- FirstEnergy Stadium
- Great Lakes Science Center
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Steamship William G. Mather Museum
- Lake Erie
- Cedar Point
- Middlegrounds Metro Park
- National New York Central Railroad Museum
- Midwest Museum of American Art
- Willis Tower
- Chicago Loop