The Pere Marquette Amtrak route travels between Chicago and Grand Rapids, Michigan daily. There is direct service from Chicago to St. Joseph/Benton Harbor and a stop in Holland, making this route great for a vacation getaway. Amenities include a cafe, business class seating, WiFi and checked bicycle storage (reservation must be made in advance and check specific station information to see if checked bike service is available).
As of June 2021, one-way coach tickets were under $40 between Chicago and Grand Rapids, and around $20 for travel between Chicago and St. Joseph-Benton Harbor.
Things to know:
- Trains depart Chicago early evening
- Trains depart Grand Rapids at 6 a.m.
- Chicago is on Central Time while the other stations on the route are on Eastern
- Total commute time is about four hours, with St. Joseph/Benton Harbor the halfway point
- Chicago, IL – Union Station (CHI)
- St. Joseph-Benton Harbor, MI (SJM)
- Bangor, MI (BAM)
- Holland, MI (HOM)
- Grand Rapids, MI – Vernon J. Ehlers Station (GRR)