Sunset Limited Amtrak trains travel between New Orleans and Los Angeles with stops in Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California. There are many cultural and fun attractions to visit along the route, or stay on board for unique desert and swamp views. Two levels tall, the trains use Superliner rail cars and have a sightseer lounge available to all passengers. Sleeping accommodations are also available at an extra cost.
Fun fact: The route is based on the oldest-named route in the United States; the Southern Pacific Railway provided similar rail service starting in 1894. Then like now, enjoy stunning mountain, desert and lake views as you travel across the country.
This website is reader supported and we may earn a small commission from links on this page.
Things to Know
- No WiFi
- The Sunset Limited is the only route that travels to and from Houston.
- Maricopa is the stop for Phoenix, but it is 30 miles away from the city center.
- The Texas Eagle is attached to the Sunset Limited between San Antonio and L.A.
- Trains can get crowded around Mardi Gras if you’re traveling to or from New Orleans, so you might want to plan your family vacation or solo trip at a different time.
- Trains depart New Orleans in the morning and L.A. at night.
- Trains arrive in L.A. early in the morning and in New Orleans in the evening.
- California scenery is hard to see because it is typically dark when trains travel through the state.
View latest schedules and timetables on Amtrak.com.
- New Orleans, LA – Union Passenger Terminal (NOL)
- Schriever, LA (SCH)
- New Iberia, LA (NIB)
- Lafayette, LA (LFT)
- Lake Charles, LA (LCH)
- Beaumont, TX (BMT)
- Houston, TX – Amtrak Station (HOS)
- San Antonio, TX (SAS)
- Del Rio, TX (DRT)
- Sanderson, TX (SND)
- Alpine, TX (ALP)
- El Paso, TX – Union Depot (ELP)
- Deming, NM (DEM)
- Lordsburg, NM (LDB)
- Benson, AZ (BEN)
- Tucson, AZ (TUS)
- Maricopa, AZ (MRC)
- Yuma, AZ (YUM)
- Palm Springs, CA – Amtrak Station (PSN)
- Ontario, CA (ONA)
- Pomona, CA (POS)
- Los Angeles, CA – Union Station (LAX)