Amtrak’s Maple Leaf route travels between Toronto, Canada* and New York City. Enjoy stunning views of the Hudson River Valley or hop off the train to visit Niagara Falls. A cafe and WiFi are available on board, but no business class seating or dining car.
*As of September 2021, Amtrak trains are not traveling into Canada.
Things to Know
- If you plan to cross into Canada, you have to be 18 or older (or with an adult) and have the proper documents, in most cases a passport. View all requirements. Expect to wait while customs processes passengers and the train.
- It takes about nine hours to reach Niagara Falls from New York City.
- To view the fall foliage, travel between Albany and New York City (or Albany and a station to the south).
- One train in each direction daily.
- Trains depart New York City before 8 a.m.
- Trains depart Niagara Falls midday.
- Trip time between Albany and New York City is about 2.5 hours.
- The Empire Service trains stop at some of the same Amtrak stations.
Here are some of the top tips and rider recommendations:
- The train from New York City to Montreal is more scenic (The Adirondack)
- Bring a lunch or snacks as the cafe food choices are limited.
- Views of the Hudson River are on the left side of the train when heading northbound and right side of the train southbound.
- If you’re starting your trip in Canada, consider going through the border on your own and connecting with one of the Maple Leaf Amtrak stations in the United States to save time.
- Niagara Falls
- New York City
- New York, NY – Penn Station (NYP)
- Yonkers, NY (YNY)
- Croton-Harmon, NY (CRT)
- Poughkeepsie, NY (POU)
- Rhinecliff, NY (RHI)
- Hudson, NY (HUD)
- Albany-Rensselaer, NY (ALB)
- Schenectady, NY (SDY)
- Amsterdam, NY (AMS)
- Utica, NY (UCA)
- Rome, NY (ROM)
- Syracuse, NY (SYR)
- Rochester, NY (ROC)
- Buffalo, NY – Depew Station (BUF)
- Buffalo, NY – Exchange Street (BFX)
- Niagara Falls, NY (NFL)
- Niagara Falls, ON (NFS)
- St. Catharines, ON (SCA)
- Grimsby, ON (GMS)
- Aldershot, ON (AST)
- Oakville, ON (OKL)
- Toronto, ON – Union Station (TWO)
- Empire State Building
- Madison Square Garden
- Hudson River Valley
- Adirondack Mountains
- Mohawk River
- New York State Fairgrounds
- Rochester Auto Museum
- High Falls (Rochester)
- New York wineries
- Seneca Buffalo Creek Casino
- KeyBank Center
- Canalside Park
- Lake Erie
- Niagara Falls