Amtrak’s Maple Leaf route travels between Toronto, Canada and New York City. Enjoy stunning views of the Hudson River Valley and hop off the train to visit Niagara Falls at the station of the same name. Amenities include a café car and WiFi.
This website is reader supported and we may earn a small commission from links on this page.
Things to Know
- If you plan to cross into Canada, you have to be 18 or older (or with an adult) and have the proper documents, in most cases a passport. View all requirements. Expect to wait while customs processes passengers and the train.
- It takes about nine hours to reach Niagara Falls from New York City.
- To view the fall foliage, travel between Albany and New York City (or Albany and a station to the south).
- Views of the Hudson River are on the left side of the train when heading northbound and right side of the train southbound.
- One train in each direction daily.
- Trains depart New York City in the morning.
- Trains from NYC arrive in Niagara Falls at night.
- Travel time between Albany and New York City is about 2.5 hours.
- Travel time between New York City and Niagara Falls is about 9.5 hours.
- Travel time between New York City and Toronto is about 13 hours.
- The Empire Service trains stop at some of the same Amtrak stations.
View latest schedules and timetables on Amtrak.com.
- New York, NY – Penn Station (NYP)
- Yonkers, NY (YNY)
- Croton-Harmon, NY (CRT)
- Poughkeepsie, NY (POU)
- Rhinecliff, NY (RHI)
- Hudson, NY (HUD)
- Albany-Rensselaer, NY (ALB)
- Schenectady, NY (SDY)
- Amsterdam, NY (AMS)
- Utica, NY (UCA)
- Rome, NY (ROM)
- Syracuse, NY (SYR)
- Rochester, NY (ROC)
- Buffalo, NY – Depew Station (BUF)
- Buffalo, NY – Exchange Street (BFX)
- Niagara Falls, NY (NFL)
- Niagara Falls, ON (NFS)
- St. Catharines, ON (SCA)
- Grimsby, ON (GMS)
- Aldershot, ON (AST)
- Oakville, ON (OKL)
- Toronto, ON – Union Station (TWO)
- Empire State Building
- Madison Square Garden
- Hudson River Valley
- Adirondack Mountains
- Mohawk River
- New York State Fairgrounds
- Rochester Auto Museum
- High Falls (Rochester)
- New York wineries
- Seneca Buffalo Creek Casino
- KeyBank Center
- Canalside Park
- Lake Erie
- Niagara Falls