The Vermonter Amtrak train travels daily between Washington D.C. and St. Albans, Vermont. Ideal for nature lovers and business commuters, the Vermonter stops near hiking, skiing and cycling destinations as well as at quaint cities and bustling urban centers. Don’t miss views of fall foliage in autumn or skiing trips in the winter.
Things to Know
- There is WiFi, a quiet car, cafe and business class seating on the Vermonter.
- The total commute time is almost 14 hours without delays.
- The scenery is beautiful in the fall and winter in Vermont, but you’ll need to be traveling on a southbound train from Vermont to view it.
- One train in each direction daily.
- Trains arrive in Washington D.C. at night.
- Trains depart Washington D.C. early in the morning and arrive in Vermont in the evening.
View latest schedules and timetables on Amtrak.com.
The cost of Amtrak tickets varies by type of ticket, distance traveled, time of year and how early you book your tickets. Coach seats are the most affordable, followed by roomettes and bedrooms.
Expect to pay the following prices to ride the entire Vermonter route (as of 2022):
- $80-$200 for coach seat
- Around $250 for a business class seat
- White River Junction
- New York City
- Washington D.C.
- St. Albans, VT (SAB)
- Essex Junction-Burlington, VT (ESX)
- Waterbury-Stowe, VT (WAB)
- Montpelier-Berlin, VT (MPR)
- Randolph, VT (RPH)
- White River Junction, VT (WRJ)
- Windsor-Mt. Ascutney, VT (WNM)
- Claremont, NH (CLA)
- Bellows Falls, VT (BLF)
- Brattleboro, VT (BRA)
- Greenfield, MA (GFD)
- Northampton, MA (NHT)
- Holyoke, MA (HLK)
- Springfield, MA (SPG)
- Windsor Locks, CT (WNL)
- Hartford, CT (HFD)
- Berlin, CT (BER)
- Meriden, CT (MDN)
- Wallingford, CT (WFD)
- New Haven, CT – Union Station (NHV)
- Bridgeport, CT (BRP)
- Stamford, CT (STM)
- New York, NY – Penn Station (NYP)
- Newark, NJ – Penn Station (NWK)
- Metropark, NJ (MET)
- Trenton, NJ (TRE)
- Philadelphia, PA – 30th Street Station (PHL)
- Wilmington, DE (WIL)
- Baltimore, MD – Penn Station (BAL)
- Baltimore, MD – BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
- New Carrollton, MD (NCR)
- Washington, DC – Union Station (WAS)