Downeaster trains travel between Boston and Brunswick multiple times each day with stops in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine. The entire route takes about 3.5 hours, although most passengers use the Downeaster for business commutes or day or weekend trips to specific locations. While on board, you can use the free WiFi and visit the café car. Summer and fall are recommended times to ride in order to enjoy warm weather, beaches and fall foliage.
This website is reader supported and we may earn a small commission from links on this page.
Things to Know
- Business class seating is available.
- Day trips are an option on this route.
- Trains arrive and depart from Boston’s North Station.
- A dome car is sometimes added to Downeaster trains in the fall for viewing the foliage.
- There are multiple trains to choose from each day.
- Commute time between Portland and Boston is about 2.5 hours.
- You can travel between Boston and the first Maine stop (Wells) in less than 2 hours.
View current schedules on AmtrakDowneaster.com.
- Brunswick, ME (BRK)
- Freeport, ME (FRE)
- Portland, ME (POR)
- Old Orchard Beach, ME (ORB)
- Saco, ME (SAO)
- Wells, ME (WEM)
- Dover, NH (DOV)
- Durham, NH (DHM)
- Exeter, NH (EXR)
- Haverhill, MA (HHL)
- Woburn, MA (WOB)
- Boston, MA – North Station (BON)
Top photo credit: MBTafan2011/Wikimedia (Downeaster train in Massachusetts)