The Adirondack Amtrak route travels daily between New York City and Montreal. Total trip time is about 10 hours, with many stops in upstate New York in between. Very scenic, it’s a popular train ride for viewing fall foliage, traveling to wineries and visiting Lake Champlain. A dome car will be available September 27 – November 2, 2018 for viewing the autumn foliage, but only for trips between Albany and Montreal. Confirm availability before booking your trip.
Note that Amtrak is not traveling into Canada until the US-Canadian border opens.
Things to Know
- There is WiFi on the train and a cafe
- You’ll need proper documents if you plan to cross the border between Canada and United States. And children under 18 must be with an adult. View all guidelines.
- National park rangers provide trip narration between May and October on certain parts of the route.
- No checked bags on this train, but you can bring luggage on board for placement in overhead bins or in limited space at the ends of train cars.
- This is a daytime train (no overnight)
- Trains depart Montreal mid-morning and arrive in New York City around 9 p.m.
- Trains depart New York City before 8 a.m. and arrive in Montreal around 7 p.m.
Top tips and takeaways from rider reviews:
- There are often delays at the border
- Comfortable seats
- Scenery is lovely, but not stunning (more stunning during the fall season and in the Hudson Valley)
- Like most Amtrak trains, it can be cold on board, so bring a blanket or warm layers of clothing with you
- New York City
- Saratoga Springs
- New York, NY – Penn Station (NYP)
- Yonkers, NY (YNY)
- Croton-Harmon, NY (CRT)
- Poughkeepsie, NY (POU)
- Rhinecliff, NY (RHI)
- Hudson, NY (HUD)
- Albany-Rensselaer, NY (ALB)
- Schenectady, NY (SDY)
- Saratoga Springs, NY (SAR)
- Fort Edwards-Glens Falls, NY (FED)
- Whitehall, NY (WHL)
- Ticonderoga, NY (FTC)
- Port Henry, NY (POH)
- Westport, NY (WSP)
- Port Kent, NY (PRK)
- Plattsburgh, NY (PLB)
- Rouses Point, NY (RSP)
- St-Lambert, QC (SLQ)
- Montreal, QC – Gare Centrale/Central Station (MTR)
- Empire State Building
- Madison Square Garden
- Hudson River Valley
- Adirondack Mountains
- Fort Edward Yacht Basin
- Champlain Canal
- Birthplace of the U.S. Navy (Whitehall)
- Skene Manor
- Skenesborough Museum
- Fort Ticonderoga
- Van Slooten Harbour Marina
- Moriah Campsite & Beach
- Lake Champlain ferries (to Vermont)
- City of Plattsburgh Marina
- Plattsburgh Boat Basin
- Macdonough Monument
- Square Dorchester
- Mary, Queen of the World Cathedral
- Downtown Montreal