Adirondack trains travel daily between New York City and Montreal. Total trip time is about 10 hours, with many stops in upstate New York. Very scenic, it’s a popular train ride for viewing fall foliage, traveling to wineries and visiting Lake Champlain.
Note that Amtrak is not traveling into Canada until the US-Canadian border opens.
Things to Know
- There is WiFi on the train and a cafe.
- Start or end your trip in Albany if you want to view the fall leaves in the Hudson River Valley (travel south toward New York City from Albany).
- You’ll need proper documents if you plan to cross the border between Canada and United States. Children under 18 must be with an adult. View all guidelines.
- No checked bags on this train, but you can bring luggage on board for placement in overhead bins or in limited space at the ends of train cars.
- This is a daytime train (not overnight)
- Trains depart Montreal mid-morning and arrive in New York City around 9 p.m.
- Trains depart New York City before 8 a.m. and arrive in Montreal around 7 p.m.
Top tips and takeaways from rider reviews:
- There are often delays at the border
- Comfortable seats
- Scenery is lovely, but not stunning (more stunning during the fall season and in the Hudson Valley)
- Like most Amtrak trains, it can be cold on board, so bring a blanket or warm layers of clothing with you
- New York City
- Saratoga Springs
- New York, NY – Penn Station (NYP)
- Yonkers, NY (YNY)
- Croton-Harmon, NY (CRT)
- Poughkeepsie, NY (POU)
- Rhinecliff, NY (RHI)
- Hudson, NY (HUD)
- Albany-Rensselaer, NY (ALB)
- Schenectady, NY (SDY)
- Saratoga Springs, NY (SAR)
- Fort Edwards-Glens Falls, NY (FED)
- Whitehall, NY (WHL)
- Ticonderoga, NY (FTC)
- Port Henry, NY (POH)
- Westport, NY (WSP)
- Port Kent, NY (PRK)
- Plattsburgh, NY (PLB)
- Rouses Point, NY (RSP)
- St-Lambert, QC (SLQ)
- Montreal, QC – Gare Centrale/Central Station (MTR)
- Empire State Building
- Madison Square Garden
- Hudson River Valley
- Adirondack Mountains
- Fort Edward Yacht Basin
- Champlain Canal
- Birthplace of the U.S. Navy (Whitehall)
- Skene Manor
- Skenesborough Museum
- Fort Ticonderoga
- Van Slooten Harbour Marina
- Moriah Campsite & Beach
- Lake Champlain ferries (to Vermont)
- City of Plattsburgh Marina
- Plattsburgh Boat Basin
- Macdonough Monument
- Square Dorchester
- Mary, Queen of the World Cathedral
- Downtown Montreal