Amtrak trains on many different routes arrive and depart from the Chicago Union Station at 225 S Canal Street. One of the most beautiful stations in the United Stations, it opened in 1925 next to the Chicago Loop. Then, like now, the station was a major transfer point between passenger trains. It has undergone renovations in recent years, including a new ceiling in the Great Hall, western facade repair and restored Burlington Room. Learn more about the station below.
View the full list of station amenities, including:
- Food court
- Ticket sales office
- Bag storage (with fee)
- Checked baggage service
- Metropolitan Lounge
Note: There is no parking at this station.
The following long-distance and regional Amtrak trains depart from Chicago Union Station:
- Blue Water (Michigan)
- California Zephyr (West/Rocky Mountains)
- Capitol Limited (East/Midwest/DC)
- Cardinal (East/Midwest/DC)
- Carl Sandburg (Illinois)
- City of New Orleans (South)
- Empire Builder (West/Upper Midwest)
- Hiawatha (Milwaukee)
- Illini (Illinois)
- Illinois Zephyr (Illinois)
- Lakeshore Limited (East/Great Lakes)
- Lincoln Service (Illinois/St. Louis)
- Pere Marquette (Michigan)
- Saluki (Illinois)
- Southwest Chief (Southwest/California)
- Texas Eagle (Southwest via Texas)
- Wolverine (Michigan)
Things to Know
- A food court and retail stores are inside the station on the Mezzanine level.
- Odd numbered tracks are in the North Concourse (even numbered tracks in the South).
- At street level, elevators are located at the Canal Street entrances, which are on each side of the street. The entrance in the modern building (not in the building pictured above) is closer to the train tracks.
- Metra commuter trains to Chicago suburbs also stop at Union Station.
- In warmer months, water taxis depart near the station and travel to destinations including Michigan Avenue and Chinatown.
- The two closest CTA transit stations are an 8-minute walk away from Union Station: Quincy on the brown, orange, pink and purple lines and Jackson Blue on the blue line.
There are several hotels in walking distance of Union Station, including:
- JW Marriott Chicago
- Kimpton Gray
- Hyatt Centric The Loop
- Holiday Inn and Suites Chicago Downtown
- Hampton Inn Chicago West Loop
- La Quinta Inn and Suites Chicago Downtown
- Hyatt Place Chicago Downtown Loop
- Crowne Plaza Chicago West Loop
Note that we may earn commission if you book a hotel through one of the above links. This compensation supports train travel research and guides.
Things to Do
- Willis Tower
- Little Italy
- Chicago Pedway
- Chicago French Market
- Civic Opera House
- Chicago Fed Money Museum
- Old St. Patrick’s Catholic Church