Amtrak vacations can be great fun for the whole family, especially when you book a private room that has windows on both sides of the train. The family bedroom offers this option, which is available on eight Amtrak routes (see list below). You’ll want to make sure this room type works for you before you book your tickets, as one or more regular bedrooms might be the better choice.
Key things to know:
- Up to four people can stay in a family bedroom.
- Two adults maximum. This limitation is because two of the beds are only 5 feet long, and are intended for children up to age 12.
- Family bedrooms are on the lower train level.
- No sink, toilet or shower in the room (shared bathroom nearby)
- Meals are included in ticket price.
Amtrak routes with family bedrooms
If the family bedroom suits your needs, they are available on these Amtrak routes:
- Auto Train (requires vehicle transport)
- California Zephyr
- Capitol Limited
- Coast Starlight
- Empire Builder
- Southwest Chief
- Sunset Limited
- Texas Eagle