One Amtrak route travels to Houston, the Sunset Limited, which travels between New Orleans and Los Angeles three time per week. You can board this train in Louisiana, Texas, Arizona and California. If your starting station is not on this route, you’ll need to transfer to a Sunset Limited train in L.A., San Antonio or New Orleans. To view your train options, use the Find Trains feature on the Amtrak.com homepage with your starting location and Houston (HOS) as the destination.
This website is reader supported and we may earn a small commission from links on this page.
Things to Know
- You can easily reach Houston from New Orleans, Lafayette, Lake Charles and San Antonio.
- Houston Metro light rail trains can take you around the city after you arrive. The Theater District stop on the purple and green lines is closest to Amtrak (15-minute walk away).
- The Houston Amtrak Station is on the outskirts of downtown, but you can walk to tourist attractions in less than 10 minutes.
- Get a discount at top Houston attractions with CityPass.
- Amtrak Stations in Texas
- Best things to do in Houston
- Amtrak’s long-distance routes and the places they go