The downtown San Diego Amtrak station, the Santa Fe Depot, is at 1050 Kettner Blvd near the waterfront, Little Italy and the Gaslamp Quarter. Open since 1915, the station is a beautiful example of Spanish Colonial Revival architecture and is a transportation hub for San Diego, with connections to the Coaster commuter trains and local trolleys.
Things to Know
- Multiple Amtrak trains depart and arrive daily
- There is a second Amtrak station in San Diego at the Old Town Transportation Center, which is closer to Ocean Beach, SeaWorld, Mission Bay and Mission Valley.
- The green line trolley next to the station provides service to destinations including Seaport Village, Gaslamp Quarter, Convention Center, Petco Park, Little Italy, Mission Valley and the SDCCU Stadium.
There is only one Amtrak route that stops at San Diego’s Amtrak station, the Pacific Surfliner, with service to Los Angeles and beyond. There are stunning views of the Pacific Ocean and the coastline along the way.
There are many hotels in walking distance of Santa Fe Depot, including:
- Intercontinental San Diego
- Residence Inn San Diego Bayfront
- SpringHill Suites San Diego Bayfront
- Hotel Republic
- The Westin San Diego Downtown
- Wyndham San Diego Bayside
- Embassy Suites San Diego Bay
- Best Western Plus Bayside Inn
- Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown
- The Sofia
- The Bristol
- Manchester Grand Hyatt
Note that we may earn commission if you book a hotel through one of the above links. This compensation supports train travel research and guides.
Things to Do
- Museum of Contemporary Art (1-minute walk)
- Music Box (5-minute walk)
- Broadway Pier (7-minute walk)
- Waterfront Park (7-minute walk)
- Embarcadero (8-minute walk)
- Coronado Ferry (8-minute walk)
- Little Italy (8-minute walk)
- USS Midway Museum (9-minute walk)
- Horton Plaza Mall (12-minute walk)
- Seaport Village (12-minute walk)
- Star of India (13-minute walk)
- San Diego Civic Theatre (11-minute walk)
- USS San Diego Memorial (11-minute walk)
- Bay Overlook Museum (13-minute walk)
- The New Children’s Museum (13-minute walk)
- Maritime Museum of San Diego (14-minute walk)
- Balboa Theatre (14-minute walk)
- San Diego Historical Chinese Museum (16-minute walk)
- San Diego Convention Center (18-minute walk)
Tip: We recommend renting a car or getting a Lyft or Uber ride to Balboa Park or the San Diego Zoo.