The Grand Canyon Amtrak stop is the Flagstaff Station on the Southwest Chief route. However, there is still a ways to go to reach the amazing natural wonder after getting off the train. At minimum, it’s an additional 1 hour and 20 minute drive to reach the national park once you’ve completed your Amtrak commute.
Here’s what you need to know about planning your trip.
Connections to the Grand Canyon
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, some or all services may not be available.
- Day trips from Flagstaff — book a tour that includes transportation
- Groome Shuttle — Shuttles depart daily from the Flagstaff Amtrak station to the Grand Canyon with rates around $34 per person each way.
- Grand Canyon Railway — Amtrak provides bus service to Williams, AZ that is coordinated with Amtrak train arrivals in Flagstaff (when booking your ticket, be sure to select Grand Canyon Railway Depot as your final destination). In Williams, you can take the Grand Canyon Railway train to the South Rim. There are a variety of rail ticket options, and depending on your Amtrak arrival time, you’ll likely need to book a hotel in Williams.
- Amtrak Vacations – If you book an Amtrak vacation (not just a train ticket), then included in your vacation package is transportation to the Grand Canyon
- Rent a car — Enterprise and Budget car rental offices are near the Flagstaff Amtrak Station and both companies can pick you up from the station.
Things to Know
- Limited trains stop at Flagstaff, and arrival times are either really early in the morning or late at night
- Commute time from Los Angeles to Flagstaff is about 10 hours on Amtrak and 32 hours from Chicago’s Union Station.
- The Grand Canyon Railway trains depart daily for the Grand Canyon at 9:30 a.m. and return to Williams at 3:30 p.m. (about four hours at the national park or stay overnight at a hotel in the Grand Canyon Village)
- There are about 10 hotels in easy walking distance of the Flagstaff Amtrak station.
Renting a car in Flagstaff is the least expensive and quickest option to get from Amtrak to the Grand Canyon. Booking the shuttle or day trip is the next best option.