Three Amtrak routes travel to Portland: Amtrak Cascades, Coast Starlight and Empire Builder. Empire Builder is the only cross-country route with stops in Minneapolis and Chicago, and the other routes travel up and down the West Coast with service to and from major cities including Los Angeles, Seattle and Vancouver.
Things to Know
- Good arrival times in Portland if no major delays (no overnight arrivals)
- No WiFi on the long-distance Empire Builder and Coast Starlight routes.
- There is only one Empire Builder and one Coast Starlight train that arrives in Portland each day, but multiple trains on the Cascades route.
- Trains arrive at Portland’s historic Union Station near the NW 9th & Love Joy streetcar stop. Other transportation options such as Shuttle Oregon and various buses also connect with the station.
To plan your trip, you can go through the ticket booking process on Amtrak.com or use Google Maps with your start and end station to view Amtrak directions and schedules.
- Portland: Great American Stations
- 10 best stops on the Coast Starlight
- Best things to do in Portland, Oregon