Book tickets on the California Zephyr route to reach Denver by train. You can board trains in cities including Chicago, Omaha, Salt Lake City, Reno, Sacramento and Emeryville (which is near San Francisco). If your starting location is not near one of the stations on the route, you’ll need to ride more than one train to reach Denver. Common transfer points are Chicago and Emeryville.
To view your travel options, use the Find Trains feature on the Amtrak.com homepage.
Things to Know
- Westbound trains arrive in Denver in the morning.
- Eastbound trains arrive in Denver early evening.
- One eastbound and one westbound train stop in Denver each day.
- Some of the best scenery on the route is just west of Denver where trains ascend and descend from the Rocky Mountains.
- Walk to hotels, restaurants and attractions from the Denver Amtrak Station.
- The Oxford Hotel is closest to the station — just walk across the street.
- 10 best mountain getaways on Amtrak
- 10 best stops on the California Zephyr route
- Best things to do in Denver
Top photo credit: James St. John