Amtrak points are of part of the Amtrak Guest Rewards program, which is open to residents in the United States and Canada. You can earn points online or with an Amtrak Guest Rewards credit card. To get started, call 1-800-307-5000 to enroll in the rewards program or complete a short form on Amtrak.com. Once you have an account, you can apply for a credit card and earn points with everything you buy, or start earning points online when purchasing Amtrak tickets and items from Amtrak’s partners.
Why earn Amtrak points?
You can get rewards with your Amtrak points. Free train travel is one option, which is especially helpful if you’re planning a long-distance train trip and want to reduce the cost. You can also use points for hotel stays, rental cars, cruises, restaurants, movies and gift cards to various retail stores.
Do points expire?
Yes, but only due to lack of activity. If you don’t use or earn any points within a 24-month period, then points will expire. Note that expiration of points is paused until June 30, 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Ways to get points
You can earn Amtrak points in the following ways:
- Using an Amtrak Guest Rewards credit card
- Buying Amtrak tickets (while logged into your online account)
- Booking hotels, renting cars and shopping from Amtrak partners (while logged into your online account)
- Buying Amtrak points or receiving them as a gift
- Asking someone you know to share points with you (learn more)
- Transferring loyalty points from one of these programs to Amtrak Guest Rewards
How many points do I need for a free Amtrak trip?
You need to collect at least 800 points for train travel, and longer trips and sleeping accommodations require more points. If you were to earn points only from purchasing Amtrak tickets (2 points per $1), you would need to spend $400 in order to reach 800 points. You can check points needed for specific trips by starting the ticket booking process on Amtrak.com and turn on the “Use Points” feature (pictured below).